[Chicken-users] bytevectors

From: Eduardo Cavazos
Subject: [Chicken-users] bytevectors
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:32:33 -0600

Hello,

I'm working on code which uses these procedures:

    make-bytevector
    bytevector-length
    bytevector-ieee-double-native-ref
    bytevector-ieee-double-native-set!

Thankfully, Larceny, Ikarus, and Ypsilon all support these.

I'd like to have the code work in Chicken.

Is there any equivalent to these in Chicken?

I noticed that you do support SRFI-4. However, none of the above implementations seem come with SRFI-4.

It looks like many implementors are converging on the 'bytevectors' api provided by R6RS. I know I know... I don't like R6RS very much either... But even Will Clinger who's very outspoken against parts of R6RS seems to be OK with the bytevectors api.

So... do you think chicken can support the bytevectors api? :-)

Honestly, if SRFI-4 were widely adopted, I'd gladly use it instead of R6RS bytevectors. In fact, wherever possible, I'm using SRFIs instead of R6RS (for example SRFI-1 instead of R6RS quirks). But homogeneous vectors seem to be one place where R6RS "won".

Ed