Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 01:18:15 +0200 (CEST)

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:10:12 +0200

> It makes it very difficult for me to continue to trust Chicken as a
> development platform when certain APIs get removed like that, with
> little to no consideration to how much effort it'll take for its users
> to keep their software working.

I agree that the migration to hygienic macros was very disruptive
but it was necessary. Modules that support Scheme macros work only
with a hygienic macro system. And `define-macro' can not be implemented
hygienically. And modules are strictly necessary to allow our
extension library and uses of it to scale.

Disruptive changes sometimes just have to happen. Unrestricted backwards
compatibility gives us Windows.