Re: [Chicken-users] On eggs and their licensing

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] On eggs and their licensing
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:34:59 +0200

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 04:55:53PM -0500, Jim Ursetto wrote:
> As promised, attached is an example program.  Evidently this was a
> good idea, because we have claimed our first casualty: http-session
> depends on sha1 which is GPL.  Well, I assume that wasn't intentional,
> anyway.

Graaah! I hate this, using GPL for essential functionality like message
digests.  I already killed the GPL-tainted md5 code we had and replaced
it with a common public domain implementation.  It shouldn't be hard to
find a similarly liberally licensed sha1 implementation.  If nobody
beats me to it, I'll try to find some time for that in the weekend.

> You need an SVN checkout of the chicken repository to use this,
> because most .meta information for eggs -- such as license and
> dependencies -- is stripped out when installed.

Cool, thanks for the example code!  Mario: Perhaps something like this
could be integrated in salmonella?  I think license conflicts should
be flagged as bugs.  We could draw up a license table of what licenses
conflict with what other licenses.

Cheers,
Peter
--