Re: [Chicken-users] A proposal for the egg index

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A proposal for the egg index
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 00:47:18 +0200

On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 10:21:35PM +0100, Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:

> Re http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-projects/egg-index-4.html
>
> Here's a few ideas I had. Do people think there's merit in them?
>
> 1) Alongside/under the version link for each egg, provide a "browse
> source" link to
> http://bugs.call-cc.org/browser/release/4/<EGG>/tags/<VERSION> or to
> http://bugs.call-cc.org/browser/release/4/<EGG>/trunk if there's no
> tags. Perhaps a link to /trunk as well labelled "browse trunk source" if
> there IS a tag. This will make it easy for people to dive in and see how
> an egg works under the hood.

I think that could be useful.  Alternatively, we could educate people
about chicken-install -r

I'm a little worried that the egg index would become too complex or
overwhelming for first-time users though.

> 2) For each egg, a link to
> "http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/<EGG>/discussion" or some such, to
> encourage user feedback, feature requests, etc.

That seems like a good idea, but we've had discussion pages for the
entire duration of our svnwiki use, and to my knowledge nobody ever used
them.  Because of that I didn't build discussion pages into qwiki, since
it would be just another unused feature I'd have to maintain.

> Where's the tool that generates this page live, anyway?

I'd guess somewhere under chicken-eggs/maintenance, but I can't find it.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx