[Chicken-users] Re: wish-list

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: wish-list
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:03:47 -0600

Felix <address@hidden> writes:

> From: Burton Samograd <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: wish-list
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:06:52 -0600

>>> You can always link statically. Most eggs can be statically linked
>>> (those that don't can in most cases be converted). Do you have a specific
>>> example?
>>
>> It doesn't work if you're using the OpenGL egg, or at least it didn't
>> when I tried.
>
> Can you describe this in more detail?

I had a smallish program that used the OpenGL and GLUT eggs, and when
compiling statically (csc -static glut.scm) it did produce a static
binary with no problems, but running it gave an error 'Not able to
load gl egg' (paraphrased, I'm not at my home workstation right now so I
can't do it manually).

I'm assuming that because I don't have a static libGL.a that it is
unable to statically link with it and that the static binaries are not
able to dynamically load external libraries.  I might be wrong though.

It should be easy to reproduce; just use the example glut program that
comes with the egg and compile with -static.   This was on a Ubuntu
10.10 system with the latest git version tag as of about a week ago.

--
Burton Samograd