Re: [Chicken-users] date, string formatting and locale

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] date, string formatting and locale
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:01:29 +0100

2010/11/4 Hugo Arregui <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Thomas Chust <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...]
>> the POSIX functions use the C standard library's locale which is entirely
>> independent from that of the locale egg.
>> [...]
>
> I'm not quite sure understand the idea. You mean (current-locale)
> could not be the POSIX locale?
> [...]

Hello,

the locale egg may examine environment variables to set its default locale
to the same one the C library would use, but the locale management of the egg
and the C library is otherwise completely independent. It should definitely
be possible to setup the C library and the locale egg to use completely
different locales. But, as I mentioned before, setting the C library locale
at all, especially inside a CHICKEN program, is usually not a terribly smart
idea.

Ciao,
Thomas