Re: [Chicken-users] Fwd: Re: process-wait

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Fwd: Re: process-wait
Date: 02 Sep 2011 21:27:07 +0200

On Sep 2 2011, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:

There is one better way (phenomenologically, that is) to hook into the
existing system.

I can't resist to add:

     I did not know how fast chicken actually can be!

I don't have an infrastructure to run benchmarks.  I lie to myself
believing reading the results others gathered.  Instead I look (not
exclusively but often enough) at high level tests like httperf runs.
Those I run usually in a close-to-real environment; for the case at
hand that means: background activity just happens and will mess up
the statistics.

For the past years this situation summed up to: "something is strange",
since rscheme being as close as 50%-70% (with a huge absolute
deviation) to chicken no matter how much -no-*-checks I passed to
chicken (rscheme will check them all).  So I had to be something about
the runtime.

Now that I killed that synchronous waitpid blocking everything else
...I'm astonished.

Moral of the story:
  Don't wait for something you are not interested in!
;-)

Best Regards

/Jerry