Re: [Chicken-users] wiki pages and h1 title

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] wiki pages and h1 title
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:18:33 +0200

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 02:29:13PM -0400, John Gabriele wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM, John Gabriele <address@hidden> wrote:
> > {...}
> > I think it would make sense for every page to have an h1 ("= Page
> > Title") at the top, which would not be part of a toc (if present),
> > which would be rendered at the top of the page body (above the toc, if
> > present), and which would be used to generate the first portion of the
> > page's <title>. What do you think?
>
> Here's a good example issue: the eggs tutorial page
> http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggs%20tutorial .
>
> Currently, when I have that page open, it doesn't say anywhere that
> it's the Eggs Tutorial page. My browser window title says
> "Introduction - The Chicken Scheme Wiki" and my browser tab says
> "Introduction". Looking at the page, there's no indication to the
> reader what page they're looking at unless they check the actual url.
>
> I'd bet many pages start with an Introduction, Overview, or Getting
> Started section.

Yes, and I've already fixed a lot of these.

> I could add "== Eggs Tutorial" to the top of the eggs tutorial page
> (above the `[[toc:]]`), and it would kinda' look right, except:
>
> 1. "Eggs Tutorial" would be at the same level (h2) as the other
> sections, but it shouldn't be -- it's the title of the page, and

Well, that's easy; just increase the level of all the others by adding
an extra = in front of all of them.

> 2. The ToC would list it as section 1, containing no content, followed
> by section 2, Introduction.

Actually if you put all the other sections down by one the TOC will show
a tree that says:

- Eggs tutorial
  - Introduction
  - ...

> which might be acceptable, and wouldn't require any work, but I don't
> think it's optimal.

I don't really understand what you want; even if we changed svnwiki-sxml
to allow "=" to mean "h1" (or "==" to mean h1, "===" to mean h2 etc),
it's still up to the users of the wiki to add a title heading to their
pages.  This doesn't happen now, so I don't see why people will do this
after this rather trivial change of raising all the levels by 1.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx