Re: [Chicken-users] case vs. eq? - just curious ....

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] case vs. eq? - just curious ....
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:18:49 +0100

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 02:06:56PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Don't forget Python, where even definitions are executable.  Though modern
> Scheme is not as static as R4RS or ISLisp, where there is not even `eval`.
> (Of course these languages are not static in the sense of static typing.)

I don't have more than a passing familiarity with Python, so I had to
look up what you meant by "definitions are executable", and I didn't
like what I found :)

Guide himself talks about this here:
http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-everything-became-executable.html

PHP has this "problem" as well.  PHP even allows included
files and EVALed code to access local lexical variables in the
calling function.  I've often seen newbies in #scheme or #chicken
who were confused by this, and tried to graft similar functionality
on top of Scheme (which is utterly doomed to fail, of course)

And don't get me started on Javascript with its idiotic "hoisting" concept...

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx