Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken on OS X Lion

From: Hans Nowak
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken on OS X Lion
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:28:22 -0400

On 9/13/12 1:18 PM, Jim Ursetto wrote:
Hans,
I've verified that chicken 4.7.0.6 builds, installs and tests out correctly on
Lion
with Xcode 4.4.1.  It works fine with either gcc or clang.  Here is my test
line:

make PLATFORM=macosx PREFIX=$PWD/inst C_COMPILER=clang all install check

 From your paste, it looks like you're not providing a PREFIX.  Can you try it
with
a prefix, even a temporary one, such as $PWD/inst or ~/local/chicken?  Sometimes
we get strange hangs on install when you have an older (quite a bit older)
version of
chicken already installed in the PREFIX, or hanging out somewhere weird on your
system where it's in the dynamic linker path and interfering with the install.

So I would try a temporary prefix and also, try to hunt down old
versions of chicken shared libraries hanging out on your disk.

I attached the version output of xcodebuild, clang, gcc and ld I used.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. It turns out that with a prefix, everything works correctly. It was only if I tried to install to the default location (/usr/local/) that it would hang. I think this was indeed because of a previous (botched) installation, because for some reason the modules.db file was read-only. Fixing the permissions on that file seems to have fixed the problem.

--
Hans Nowak