Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken release 4.8.0

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken release 4.8.0
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:33:29 +0200

Hi Derrell,

* Derrell Piper <address@hidden> [120925 02:22]:
> Mario Domenech Goulart <address@hidden> writes:
>
> ...that brings up something I've been meaning to ask here, can someone
> explain when we want to use 'spotless' vs. 'distclean' vs. 'clean'?

There are several cleaning targets:

clean
confclean
testclean
distclean
spotless

clean will remove all intermediate files created during compilation

confclean will also remove generated header files like
chicken-config.h chicken-defaults.h

testclean will remove all files generated by a make check in tests/

spotless is confclean and testclean plus removal of the bootstrapping files

distclean is shorthand for clean and confclean

So the  dangerous one for  usual users is  spotless as it  removes the
ability  to build  chicken from  scratch without  having  a previously
built chicken installed.

HTH,

Christian

--