Re: [Chicken-users] Sending mail from a web site

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Sending mail from a web site
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 21:18:52 -0400

Matt Gushee scripsit:

> The other method would be to call out to the command line via
> 'process-run' or 'with-output-to-pipe' or some such thing. Although I
> don't know of any specific problems with the latter method, it seems
> like a potential source of errors and security holes.

I agree that SendGrid is probably a better option.  But with-output-to-pipe
isn't too hard.  You make sure there are no 's in the email address,
and then construct the command line "/usr/lib/sendmail 'address@hidden'".
You'll have to write out proper header lines, but you don't need many:
From:, To:, Subject:, Date: will suffice.  Note the somewhat annoying
format of the Date: header text: "Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:55:06 -0600".

If you are on Windows, you won't have /usr/lib/sendmail.

--
In my last lifetime,                            John Cowan
I believed in reincarnation;                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan