Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line I should wait for?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:54:12 +0000

Hi John,

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 18:52:47 -0500 John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mario Domenech Goulart scripsit:
>
>> egg-pack-sources will detect version mismatches in case we specify a
>> version that doesn't match the versions required by requested eggs or
>> dependencies:
>>
>>   $ egg-pack-sources --output-dir=eggs spiffy:5.1 intarweb:0.9
>>   Fetching spiffy:5.1
>>   You requested version 0.9 for intarweb, but spiffy depends on intarweb
>> version 1.0. Aborting.
>
> If it can do that, I should think it could take the next step and
> load intarweb:1.0 instead.  Which would provide the "bundling"
> facility we have been looking for.

If the user specified he/she wants intarweb 0.9, it makes little sense
to me fetching version 1.0.  If egg-pack-sources were to guess
combinations of versions that match egg requirements, another
alternative would be fetching some previous spiffy version that accepts
intarweb 0.9.

But in this particular case, I think the best thing to do is just abort
and leave the decision to the user.

Actually, I think the most common scenario for using egg-pack-sources as
a "bundler" would be generating a list of eggs/versions out of the
output of a tool like chicken-status.  In this case you'll have explicit
versions for all eggs, and they'll be consistent, since chicken-install
installed them.

Best wishes.
Mario
--