Re: [Chicken-users] R7RS: (current-jiffy) and (jiffies-per-second)

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] R7RS: (current-jiffy) and (jiffies-per-second)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:21:39 -0400

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> current-jiffy could always return fixnums.

Alas, only if you are in the sweet spot of:

1) programs don't run for too long

2) fixnums are sufficiently large

3) jiffies aren't too precise

On a 32-bit system with microsecond resolution (which does not necessarily
mean microsecond precision), (current-jiffy) returns bignums after 17
minutes, assuming the largest fixnum is 2^30.  I tried to get this fixed
at the last minute by allowing jiffies to wrap around, but it didn't
pass the WG.

--
A few times, I did some exuberant stomping about,       John Cowan
like a hippo auditioning for Riverdance, though         address@hidden