Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-fuse

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-fuse
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:24:57 +0200

Hi Evan,

somehow I could not rest without *knowing* that C->Chicken calls are not thread safe.

As I wrote yesterday I lived in the believe of this being a fact. Now I re-read the manual section on callbacks. According to my reading manual/Callbacks the 3rd paragraph in the introduction confirms my understanding:

> Non-local exits leaving the scope of the invocation of a callback from Scheme into C > will not remove the C call-frame from the stack (and will result in a memory
> leak).  '''Note:''' The same applies to
> SRFI-18 threading, which is implemented with {{call/cc}};
> additionally, if you enter one callback, switch threads and then exit
> a different callback, your program is likely to crash.

Especially the "Note"-part seems to apply literally.

And that's in line with my observations: either make sure there is only one thread handling fuse requests, or make sure replies come back before thread switches occur.

Best Regards

/Jörg