Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: glfw3

From: Alex Charlton
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: glfw3
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:01:35 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Very nice.  Thanks for sharing your code.
>
> If version 3 changed the API changed significantly, I think it's
> reasonable that we have a separate egg for it.
>
> Some notes and questions:
>
> * I noticed the compile line in the .setup file links your egg against
>   libglfw.  If I understand correctly, GLFW doesn't put the version
>   number in the library filename.  So, you can't have, for example,
>   version 2 and 3 installed on the same system at the same time.  Does
>   that sound right?  I ask because we'd have to have both versions (2
>   and 3) installed on our test machines.
>
> * With regard to the .release-info file, you probably need
>   {egg-name}-chicken instead of just {egg-name}, since your repository
>   directory is glfw3-chicken and the egg name is glfw3.
>
> Best wishes.
> Mario

1) I’m not sure entirely what you’re asking. GLFW on *nix creates the standard
libglfw.so, libglfw.so.3, libglfw.so.3.0, two of which are symlinks to the
latter. So on *nix it is certainly possible to have different versions
installed and just link to the one you want. The only problem with changing the
setup file to link to libglfw.so.3 is that it would break on Windows.

If there is a standard way of conditionally executing code à la CL’s features
then I’d be happy to modify the setup file to ensure that it links to version 3
on Unix. Otherwise, I’m not sure how you’d get it to run on the test server. Do
you have some way of patching eggs?

2) You’re certainly right. Thanks for catching that!

--
Alex