Re: [Chicken-users] CHICKEN 4.9.0rc1 is available

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CHICKEN 4.9.0rc1 is available
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 14:57:37 -0400

Andy Bennett scripsit:

> We also had to fix the dropbox egg where it calls alist-ref. Some time
> after CHICKEN 4.7.0 it became mandatory to pass a well formed alist to
> alist-ref but we were relying on it returning the default value.

For the record, it is an error in all versions of Scheme to pass
anything other than a (proper) list of pairs to the alist procedures,
so the effect of doing so is entirely implementation-defined.  Here is
a suitable predicate:

(define (alist? obj)
  (cond
    ((null? obj) #t)
    ((not (pair? obj)) #f)
    ((not (pair? (car obj))) #f)
    (else (alist? (cdr obj)))))

It is O(n), which is the best you can do.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
Rather than making ill-conceived suggestions for improvement based on