Re: [Chicken-users] Strange behavior of Chicken Scheme interpreter on Wi

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Strange behavior of Chicken Scheme interpreter on Windows 7
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 16:15:26 +0100

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 03:40:10PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi everybody,

Hello and welcome to CHICKEN!

> My problem is not really an issue, since the scheme interpreter is working
> correctly in my test conditions.
> But I noticed a strange behavior on Chicken interpreter with my 4.9.0.1 build
> of Chicken.
>
> Expected behavior:
> - open cmd.exe and cd to the build directory
> - type "csi"
> - the current version, build date and additional information is displayed in
> the SAME terminal
> - the REPL let write Scheme program in the SAME terminal

This is what should happen.

> Observed behavior:
> - open cmd.exe and cd to the build directory
> - type "csi"
> - A new window is opened (looks like a cmd.exe terminal), the current
> version, build date and additional information is displayed in this window
> - (wait around 15 seconds)
> - The new window is automatically closed (!) and all the output of the closed
> window in redirected in the original terminal

This definitely should not happen.

> This behavior does not appears in the prebuilt binaries of chicken-iup (32
> bits).
>
> 2 questions:
> - This behavior is it normal? Can it be explained?

It is definitely not normal, and I can't explain it.  I've never seen
this happen, and I've built CHICKEN on Windows quite a few times already.

> - How to avoid this behavior?

Without knowing why it happens, I'm afraid I can't tell you how to avoid it.

> Conditions:
> - Windows 7 64-bits, Intel
> - Compiled from sources with Mingw (tried with mingw32-64 SJLC, mingw32-64
> FEH)
> - Chicken Scheme 4.9.0.1 (also tried with chicken-4.6.3, chicken-4.8.0.5,
> chicken-4.8.1)
> - With the makefile.mingw and makefile.mingw-MSYS (msys binaries of 2011)

Perhaps this has something to do with mingw32-64.  Did you read the README
instructions to invoke mingw32-make with "ARCH=x86-64" and use forward
slashes in all paths?  If not, does that help?  If it doesn't help, is it
at all possible to do a 32-bit build on 64-bit Windows?

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://www.more-magic.net