Re: [Chicken-users] Cryptic SSAX error message

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cryptic SSAX error message
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 09:13:36 +0100

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:27:36PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> I was building a new blog with Coq au vin, which uses Civet to process
> templates, which in turn uses SSAX ... and one of my XHTML templates caused
> [an] error.

[error elided]

> Now that's a helpful error message. It turns out the problem was the inline
> JavaScript in my template (which contained the <= operator). Since I was
> using the XHTML Transitional doctype, that's allowed per W3C specs, and it
> simply hadn't occurred to me that it was likely to result in
> non-well-formed XML.

You shouldn't parse HTML with an XML parser.  Since you're using CHICKEN,
you could try the html-parser CHICKEN egg, which is more permissive.
I *think* XHTML Strict is a proper XML application, but I'm not 100% sure,
so if you insist on strict error checking you could use the strict
doctype.  However, of course that won't make much of a difference with
regards to using an XML parser to parse it; you'd get the same error.

Cheers,
Peter