Re: [Chicken-users] Openssl with csc -deploy

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Openssl with csc -deploy
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 11:30:02 +0200

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 11:40:40PM -0400, Nick Van Horn wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Peter.
>
> > This won't help because Spiffy has a run-time dependency on openssl,
> > which it tries to load via something like this:
>
> > (define ssl-port?
> >   (handle-exceptions _ #f (eval `(let () (use ssl) ssl-port?))))
> >
> > The idea is that on Windows openssl is too painful to install, so making
> > it a hard dependency is considered obnoxious.
>
> Perhaps I should have listed the extensions that I'm using, as I'm not
> in fact using Spiffy. I'm using rest-bind, http-client, oauth, and their
> dependencies for retrieving web data over a secure connection.

Oh, sorry.  I misunderstood.  http-client _also_ has this openssl hack,
but I forgot about that so I somehow assumed you were using Spiffy.

> Trying to run the eval you supplied in my deployed application (csc
> -deploy foo.scm) leads to the error:
>
> Error: during expansion of (import ...) - module not found: openssl

Then this is probably a bug: it seems that in deploy mode, evaled code
does not use the deployment search path.  I've created a ticket to track
this bug: https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1191

> What is curious is that my attempts to load the openssl module with
> `use`, `require-extension`, and the like prior to this test does *not*
> lead to this error when I run my unmodified application.

Yeah, but those use statements are evaluated at compile-time.

> In fact, the "missing" openssl module is only noticed downstream, when
> my original error is thrown by http-client.

I don't understand what you mean by that.

Cheers,
Peter