Re: [Chicken-users] Hello! I'm new and need some pointers please ~

From: Kristian Lein-Mathisen
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Hello! I'm new and need some pointers please ~
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 00:41:12 +0100

Hi Federico and welcome to the CHICKEN community!

I've just got a small note on your build setup. Most CHICKEN projects use a .setup-file and then build with chicken-install. There should be a thousand examples of setup-files (here's a small one, and here's a large one). Setup-files and chicken-install do tend to clobber your project folder with binary files as well as installing things in /usr. If you can live with that, it's nice in that it integrates in the other CHICKEN tools (like cross-compiling and salmonella).

Cheers!
K.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Andy Bennett <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Federico!

> Hello there! I'm Federico, a.k.a gosukiwi.
>
> I'm a wen developer (JS, Ruby, PHP, etc) wanting to learn
> Scheme/Lisp/functional programming. My first lisp dialect is CHICKEN.

Welcome!

> I decided to make a simple project using Scheme so I can get the hang of
> it. I didn't use anything "crazy" like macros, just simple constructs.
> (Oh btw, any recommended book on Scheme which I follow along using CHICKEN?)
>
> It would be awesome if you guys could take a look and let me know what
> you think? The source code is
> here: https://github.com/gosukiwi/chicken-brainfuck
> It's an interactive brainfuck interpreter.
>
> Also, I have one question: What's a good site for CHICKEN Scheme
> reference? A simple document with a list of all standard R5RS/CHICKEN
> functions would be great. Currently, using the CHICKEN website is so
> hard to stuff, and if I Google I get a lot of Racket/MIT Scheme
> documentation, but very little for CHICKEN.

The R5RS spec itself is actually pretty accessible.
"Learn Scheme in Fixnum Days" is also quite good.

There are some DuckDuckGo shortcuts (https://duckduckgo.com/ ) !csc and
!csw which look up the search term in the Chicken Scheme Chickadee and
Wiki respectively. Just type the short code and then your search term in
to the search box at http://duckduckgo.com/ .

Chickadee (http://api.call-cc.org/ ) allows you to search the APIs for
CHICKEN and its Eggs.

> For example, for web development we have http://devdocs.io/ which is