Re: [Chicken-users] big prime number

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] big prime number
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:00:46 +0100

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:11:40AM +0100, Kristian Lein-Mathisen wrote:
> Yes, indeed! CHICKEN 5 is exciting :) Thanks again Peter, for your ongoing
> efforts in pushing this forward!

Unfortunately, I just found out that something goes wrong when compiling
a program containing bignum literals: The number data can get truncated,
causing it to go from 22M to 2.1M which of course can be printed much
quicker.  So we cheered too soon.

In this program, the compiler actually does most of the work because the
value can be statically computed.  Running it in the interpreter gives
a much longer run time, like with the numbers egg under CHICKEN 4 :(

I'll have to figure out why it's so slow, but also why CHICKEN 5 is
messing up.  It's a great test case though! :)

Cheers,
Peter