Re: [Chicken-users] Understanding modules?

From: Norman Gray
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Understanding modules?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 16:59:00 +0100

Greetings.

On 16 Mar 2016, at 17:01, Norman Gray wrote:

Thank you Oleg and John, for these explanations. I won't be back in Chicken-land for a couple of days, but as soon as I can I'll aim to understand this point well enough to offer a draft of additional text for the manual.

A little while ago, I was asking some new-user questions about modules, and received very useful clarifications from John Cowan and Oleg Kolosov -- for which, many thanks. Finally, I have a chance to rework these into some suggested changes for the corresponding parts of the Chicken manual. The text below includes some additional text, and mentions some remaining puzzles.

The page <http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Basic%20mode%20of%20operation> says that 'The most portable way of creating separately linkable entities is supported by so-called units', and describes the (declare (uses UNITNAME)) expression. The next page, <http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Using%20the%20compiler>, includes a section 'An example with multiple files', which illustrates a process for combining multiple bodies of code into a single executable, using units -- (declare (uses bar)). This gives the strong impression that using units is the preferred, or idiomatic, way of combining separate bodies of code.

However John remarked, regarding units, that 'IMAO, you don't need to know anything about them unless you are writing code to be incorporated into the main Chicken build, which is unlikely.' In the same thread Oleg said that the use of unit files 'is generally frowned upon.' In that case, is it desirable to have them appear so early and so prominently in the Chicken manual? I appreciate it may be the logical place from an implementation point of view.

I get the impression from the list that it is instead modules that are the preferred way of combining bodies of code; if so, then it might be useful to remove the discussion of units in the 'Using the compiler' page, or at least note that this is a low-level feature which should be used in practice only via modules, and pointing to <http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Modules>.

The 'Modules' page could I think be a little clearer about the distinctions between importing, loading and using modules. If these distinctions aren't clear in the reader's head (well, _this_ reader's head, at least), then the rest of the text is rather harder work than it need be. Can I suggest something like the following text, which is heavily based on John's and Oleg's replies in this thread? This would be located just before the documentation of the 'module' form in this page.

vvvv

A module may _export_ a subset of the bindings defined in its body, making those bindings visible to other code which _imports_ the module, at compilation time. A module must be _loaded_ into a CHICKEN interpreter before its bindings can be imported; this loading can happen explicitly, or more commonly as a side-effect of some higher level expression, as below; this loading happens at run-time. In CHICKEN, the loadable object can be either the Scheme source code in a `.scm` file, or a shared object compiled with `csc -shared`.

If, as is usually the case, you compile code which depends on other modules, then you must use an _import library_; this is generated by `csc` when given the option `-emit-import-library`. In the most common case where a file foo.scm contains a single (module foo ...) form, the compilation should be done with `-emit-all-import-libraries`, which generates a file `foo.import.scm` named after the module. In that case, the expression `(use foo)` (or equivalently `(require-extension foo)`) will automatially handle finding and loading the library, and importing its symbols.

The `(module ...)` form is documented below. See also the discussion of `require-extension` and `use` on <http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Non-standard%20macros%20and%20special%20forms>, and possibly the discussion of `require` on <http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Unit%20eval#loading-extension-libraries>

^^^^

The 'Modules' page suggests that we 'follow the general rule of (import chicken scheme) (use anything-else)'. But this is the only mention of `(use ...)` on this page. Perhaps the link above would resolve this.

Can I suggest avoiding the module name 'test' in 'Examples of using modules' -- there is already an egg called 'test', and thus a file test.import.so in the egg tree, so there is a certain amount of scope for path confusion (ahem).

It would be reassuring, at the end of the subsection 'Examples of using modules', to include an example of using the `hello.scm` module in compiled code. With `hello.scm` changed so that the module is named `hello` rather than `test`:

    % csc -emit-all-import-libraries -shared hello.scm
    % ls hello*
    hello.import.scm    hello.scm    hello.so
    % cat main.scm
    (use hello)
    (hello)
    % csc -o main main.scm
    % ./main
    Hello, world !
    %

Though I can load and import a module called `test` in a file `hello.scm` into csi, I wasn't able to work out how to compile and link this module using csc. Possibly that's not important to be able to do, as long as one sticks to declaring module `foo` only in file `foo.scm`.

A puzzle: in his message John mentioned that 'Use [...] installs the file and imports it into the current module.' I'm puzzled at this use of 'install'. This appears to be talking of installation as a variant of loading (perhaps loading specifically an import library?). However the only relevant mention of 'install' that I can see in the manual is in <http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Extensions>, where it refers to libraries being installed in a certain place in the filesystem by `chicken-install`. Am I just over-thinking this?

Deployment: Either in the 'Modules' page (along with the other examples at the end) or in the 'Deployment' page, it would be useful to show how to deploy a program using modules. The obvious things don't appear to work:

    % head -3 hello.scm
    (module hello (hello greet)
      (import scheme)
      (define-syntax greet
    % csc -emit-all-import-libraries -shared hello.scm
    % cat main.scm
    (use hello)
    (hello)
    % csc -deploy main.scm
    % main/main -:d
    [debug] application startup...
    [debug] heap resized to 1048576 bytes
    [debug] stack bottom is 0x7fff59d8f780.
    [debug] entering toplevel toplevel...
    [debug] entering toplevel library_toplevel...
    [debug] entering toplevel build_2dversion_toplevel...
    [debug] entering toplevel eval_toplevel...
    [debug] entering toplevel expand_toplevel...
    [debug] entering toplevel modules_toplevel...
    [debug] resizing mutation-stack from 8k to 16k ...
    [debug] entering toplevel chicken_2dsyntax_toplevel...
[debug] loading compiled module `./hello.so' (handle is 0x00007f9b59d0ddb0) [panic] nursery is too small - try higher setting using the `-:s' option - execution terminated
    % otool -L main/main
    main/main:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 1256.14.0) @executable_path/libchicken.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1226.10.1)
    %

Trying, for example, `main/main -:s10000000` has the same effect; as does picking large numbers for `csc -nursery 1000000` when compiling. Googling 'chicken nursery size' gives me more information about animal husbandry than I can really use.

(I'm on OS X, 10.10).

I've assembled a short list of minor buglets in eggs and egg documentation. Is it best if I report them here, or should I ask for an account on http://bugs.call-cc.org ?

Best wishes,

Norman