Re: [Chicken-users] Failure when compiling html-tags egg

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Failure when compiling html-tags egg
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 07:05:26 +0100

Hi Arthur,

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 22:40:47 -0200 Arthur Maciel <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Evan Hanson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     A first guess is that Linux's OOM killer might be killing your
>     process.  html-tags is notorious for both time and memory usage
>     while compiling. Check for messages like "oom" or "killed process"
>     in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.log to see if that's what's
>     going on.
>
> Hi Evan! You are right! There are messages in the logs. Do you know if
> there is any way to circumvent it?

There's not much to do but getting more memory (i.e., more swap,
compiling on a machine with more memory).  html-tags is really horrible.
It's a relatively small macro that defines a lot of procedures.

> Mario, is it technically possible (at the moment) to remove html-tags
> dependency from awful? If so, I can provide a patch for it.

Yes, it is possible.  In fact, it's even implemented, if I remember
correctly.  See the sxml-only branch
(https://github.com/mario-goulart/awful/tree/sxml-only).

If you use this branch, please provide feedback.  I intend to make the
next awful release based on it, if it proves stable enough.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario