Re: [Chicken-users] Is it possible to change the list of included module

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Is it possible to change the list of included modules when compiling Chicken?
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 08:37:50 -0300

Hi Peter,

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 08:52:13AM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 08:28:23PM -0300, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am compiling it for wireless routers, and so far I could not yet
> > package csc -- so getting modules with chicken-install doesn't
> > work for me.
>
> Hi Jeronimo,
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but are statically linked
> binaries of your program not an option for you?  This would be one
> single binary file you can just put onto the router.

Do you mean tranfering a statically linked program to the router?

I'd then need to cross-compile Chicken, and using the produced binary,
run the Chicken compiler? (Cross-compilation is done within the
OpenWRT build environment).

So -- how do I do that? (Cross-compile an egg) I won't be able to
run the target chicken compiler.

This is what I imagime:

1- build chicken-host
2- compile the egg to C using chicken-host
3- use gcc from the cross-build environment to compile the egg for the
   target architecture

How do I do step (2)?  (I'm only used to chicken-install, don't know
other ways to compile eggs)

> > Would it be possible to
> >
> > - get the source of a couple of eggs, and put them somewhere with
> >   the Chicken sources,
> > - add their name/path to a list,
> >
> > and have them compiled and included in $PREFIX/lib/chicken/9/
> > when Chicken is compiled?
>
> Technically this should be possible I think, but I don't know of an
> easy way to do this currently.

That is what I thought, from looking into the code. I'll work more on
the other option.

Thanks a lot!
J.