Re: New C5 egg: SRFI-145: Assumptions

From: noosphere
Subject: Re: New C5 egg: SRFI-145: Assumptions
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 10:33:59 -0800

A couple more considerations to take in to account:

First, even if both eggs were available for Chicken 5, is 158 fully
backwards compatible with 121?  If not, then it might not be the best
idea to remove 121.

Second, I think it's a good idea for Chicken to have more eggs rather
than less because some people may look at the list of libraries or supported
SRFIs as one of their considerations when choosing which language to use,
so it just looks good for Chicken to have more eggs, when looked at from
comparison tables like these:

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/schemedoc/srfi-metadata/blob/master/table.html

If we can get that SRFI list full, Chicken will look very good indeed.
Gaps in the table, on the other hand, look bad.

Also, if someone is considering porting some library or application that
requires SRFI-121, they might not know that they could substitute 158,
and would just see that Chicken doesn't support 121 so might give up
without investigating further.

So, again, I would err on the side of leaving in already existign
support unless there's a compelling reason to remove it.

  --Sergey