Re: New egg: SRFI-87: => in case clauses

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: New egg: SRFI-87: => in case clauses
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 09:15:46 +0100

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 16:40:21 -0800 <noosphere@mailc.net> wrote:

> On Sat 21 Nov 2020 09:28:10 PM +01, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>>
>> The support for `=>' in cond clauses has been added [to CHICKEN 4.9.0]
>> to conform to R7RS, not exactly to support SRFI-87, as far as I can
>> tell.  It is documented in
>> http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types
>> (look for the documentation of `case')
>
> I have some questions about this.
>
> First, when packaging up the SRFI-87 egg, I ported over the SRFI-87
> documentation over to svnwiki syntax and posted it on the Chicken wiki:
>
>   http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/srfi-87
>
> Because of that, it's now possible to find SRFI-87 and related search
> terms in a search of the Chicken wiki.
>
> Should we keep this documentation?

I think it should be removed.  The support for `=>' in `case' clauses is
already documented in the manual.  Having a /eggref/5/srfi-87 page is
going to be misleading, as it would indicate that a srfi-87 egg exists.

> If we do, of course I can take myself out of the credits for packaging
> up SRFI-87 as there'll be no SRFI-87 egg, and take out the Version
> history section, and I could put in a note that SRFI-87 is supported in
> Chicken core with a link to the page you linked to above.  Finally, if
> we do keep it I can link to that page from our Supported Standards and
> Chicken SRFI Support pages.  If we don't keep it, then I could just link
> directly to:
>
>   https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types
>
> The other questions I have regard my investigation of SRFI-87 support in
> Chicken.  When you mentioned that Chicken had SRFI-87 support, I tried
> importing SRFI-87 in csi and succeded, tried uninstalling it (which also
> succeeded), and the tried installing it again (which failed).
>
> If SRFI-87 is not an egg and if there's no explicit support of SRFI-87
> in chicken, how was I able to (import srfi-87) and uninstall it, and why
> couldn't I reinstall it?

You could import it because you had a srfi-87 module installed on your
system (probably your own egg).

Regarding not being able to install it, did you call chicken-install
from the directory with the sources of your egg?  If you didn't, that's
expected to fail, as the egg has not been added to our egg servers.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario