utf8 printing problem

From: Mátyás Seress
Subject: utf8 printing problem
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:13:39 +0200

Hi everyone,

I wanted to try out printing some utf8 text to the console, but I ran into some issues. This is my program:

(import utf8)
(print "őŐűŰ")

And when I run it on the command line with

csi test-utf.scm

then I get this output:

CHICKEN
(c) 2008-2019, The CHICKEN Team
(c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 5.1.0 (rev 8e62f718)
mingw32-windows-gnu-x86 [ dload ptables ]

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: string-length

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: string-ref

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: string-set!

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: make-string

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: string

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: substring

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: string->list

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: list->string

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: string-fill!

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: write-char

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: read-char

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: display

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: print

Note: re-importing already imported identifier: print*
őŐűŰ

As you can see, it prints ┼æ┼É┼▒┼░ instead of őŐűŰ. When I write a similar program in C# it does it correctly by default. It seems that the (import utf8) has no effect at all, because if I comment out the (import utf8) line and run it, then I get the same exact weird output.

What am I doing wrong? How can I properly work with strings that contain non-English characters? (Btw the file is saved with UTF-8 encoding and I'm using Windows.)

Thanks in advance!