cjk-list

Re: [cjk] Cannot convert JIS.tex unsing pdflatex

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [cjk] Cannot convert JIS.tex unsing pdflatex
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:47:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Dominique!

> I am unable to process example file JIS.tex using pdflatex and
> MikTex 2.8 for Windows 7.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with MikTeX packaging issues since I
use GNU/Linux exclusively.

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `C42/min/m/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `C42/song/m/n' instead on input line 21.

This warning means that the file `c42min.fd' can't be found.  Assuming
that you have this file (please check) I suspect that you haven't
updated the font map file(s).  No idea how this is done with
MikTeX :-)

On the other hand, we now have 2012, and there are better alternatives
than JIS encoding.  I strongly suggest that you convert your input
files to Unicode, then using the `CJKutf8.sty' package.  Probably even
better, if you have large corpora of Japanese text, you might use
XeLaTeX or lualatex which both have CJK support.

    Werner