cjk-list

Re: [cjk] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdf

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [cjk] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdfmx
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 13:10:15 +0200 (CEST)

> I can see something like the following happening: an old
> mostly-working version being withdrawn, and replaced by a new
> version which doesn't work to its purpose.  Users getting stuck in
> the middle.

Why on earth do you believe that the new versions of ttf2tfm and
ttf2pk behave differently?  They should behave *exactly the same*!
And FreeType 2 can handle *much* more buggy TTFs than FreeType 1.

> Legal aspect aside, I am surprised to hear that the new ttf2pk2 is
> not tested with some of the Microsoft platform bundled fonts, or
> regularly tested with them.  Shocking.  That's perhaps the widely
> available testing route, as well as possibly the most common
> intended usage eventually. (whether you agree with, or like the
> legal aspect of it or not).

I'm quite sure that the main problem is lack of time.  I invite you to
do some testing, or even contribute a test suite to automate the
tests.

    Werner