cjk-list

Re: [cjk] output with source han and xdvipdfmx

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [cjk] output with source han and xdvipdfmx
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 16:10:47 +0000 (UTC)

I am a bit confused about the Adobe Source Han <-> Noto Fonts relationship. I
think there is a good degree of co-operation, but Adobe and Google both have
their own little ideas (not least branding and visibility) so the two fonts
share a lot but not identical.

Some of this thread has gone into a bit of overly technical discussion (which
you can ignore). Let me try to give a somewhat biased summary of the various
alternatives of using custom fonts for Latex documents.

1. If you are doing new documents, and do not have a lot of baggages and
opinion about how Latex *should* work, LuaTeX and XeTeX can both access
arbitrary platform fonts. I have no experience with LuaTeX; I tried XeTeX, and
found the change in layout, word-breaks, hyphenations unfamilar. Yes, I think
even if you stick to Computer Modern Roman, you'll need to learn new ways of
doing those things. However, if you are writing a new document in LaTeX and
needs to do a lot of languages or a lot of different fonts, those are the ways
to go for flexible handling of fonts, and other typographic features of
non-English.

2. If you have a lot of baggages, i.e. extending an old LaTeX document with new
paragraphs in a new language/fonts, besides setting up dvips, there are two
other ways of targeting pdf. pdfTeX and dvipdfmx. So in 2003 I went in that
direction, and wrote it up, in a file called
"cjk/doc/pdfhowto/HOWTO.txt" (it is part of the CJK documentation and it should
be in your hard disk if you are using TexLive), which covers mostly dvipdfmx
and a bit on pdfTeX also. More below.

2a. The main difference between going through postscript with dvips ->ps2pdf vs
directly to pdf via pdfTeX/dvipdfmx is graphics. If you need psfrag or any of
the latex packages which depends on running through ghostscript, then you have
to use the former. However, the latter has a numbers of advantages: the pdf
format itself suppports direct embedding of tif, png, gif, and also, pdf itself
has an object model, so also a pdf page as graphics also, and with that
transparent graphics as well. A traditional dvips workflow only supports eps as
graphics, and involves converting all of these into such (and losing
transparency in png, for example) either explicitly or behind the scene.

2b. There are a number of differences between pdfTeX and dvipdfmx - the former
has a larger (more English-speaking) community, and the latter was/is run by a
smaller number of Korean people. One of the explicit goals of the latter is
preserving text-searchability. i.e. pdf's from dvipdfmx preserves encoding
information, and you can extract non-english text, cut-and-paste from it (the
same applies to the modern XeTeX/LuaTeX output also), have its content indexed
by a Google's search engine, etc. Whereas non-English dvips/ps2pdf and pdfTeX
generated pdf's loses encoding information and loses the full compatability of
being indexed by a search-engine.

3. When I wrote "cjk/doc/pdfhowto/HOWTO.txt" in 2003 I mostly wrote for usage
of typesetting localized text for localized proprietary fonts. Around 2013/2014
I revisited it (possibly because I had a new computer), most of it had stood
the text of time and still useful in 2014, but it was still very much
get-your-hand-dirty and developer-oriented. We discussed a number of upcoming
changes in TeXLive then - many of the tools were being migrated away from
FreeType 1 (which had not been updated for nearly 20 years) - which would have
made life a lot easier; the changes in TeXLive seems to have completed since.
Things have indeed gone easlier; It is due a re-write, so I guess I should
update it.

4. So this little thread uncovers another interesting differences between the
three: dvips needs postscript type 1 fonts; pdfTeX still cannot use the other
font index in a ttc.

5. I'll like to make all of them work again, so I'll possibly try to get dvips
and pdfTex to work also; personally I am leaning on dvipdfmx as it lets me use
the font as is (sharing with platform-viewing) without going whole-sale the
XeTeX/LuaTeX way.