cks-devl

[cks-devl] Re: cks and being part of CryptNET

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy
Subject: [cks-devl] Re: cks and being part of CryptNET
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:21:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, V. Alex Brennen wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
>
> > We have tested cks-0.1.0 and the project is really interesting. We would
> > like to be part of the cryptnet network (for Belgium or/and Luxembourg)
> > and would like to know how we have to proceed. We would like to know the
> > bandwidth required for the sync in the CryptNET network ? (more than 2
> > Mbit/s for the sync ?)
>
> The initial load is ~6GB to copy the current full database.  After that
> is is probably average 30KB/day.  It's no where near 2Mbit/s.  The
> main server gnv.us.ks.cryptnet.net has average of about 270Kb/day.
> So it's a really small web site.

        This is really small, this is perfect for us. How can we be part
of the cryptnet network ? we have currently a basic setup of version 0.1
running at https://gilmore.ael.be/openpgp/ with only some testing keys
;-).

        The cksd is running quite well and working with GnuPG.

        I suspect we have to add the server in the table
cks_other_servers?  But the question, is more can we do against the
gnv.us.ks.cryptnet.net (maybe acl on that server) ?

> > We would like to know if the cks_sync is compatible with other HKP server
> > (like the pgp.mit.edu) ?
>
> It is planned to be, but currently the functionality is not there
> yet. I'm still working on development.  It will probably be another
> month or two before I can release a version with this functionality.

        Ok no problems.

> So, you may want to consider running pks if you want to get a
> keyserver up right away and then switching over to cks when
> it reaches 1.0.  However, if you want to help with development
> it would be great if you could run the current version and
> submit patches.

        As I prefer to use GNU GPL software and help your software
project, we will continue to use your version. We hope to help your
project and we will try to participate on savannah by submitting patches.

        I hope we can help your project and we extend the use of
encryption.

        Thanks

        adulau

--