classpath-inetlib

Re: [Classpath-inetlib] Sending SMTP message gets stuck upon exception

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpath-inetlib] Sending SMTP message gets stuck upon exception
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:13:19 +0100

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
You cannot assume that you can safely call any method on the transport,
including close(), after an I/O error.

What should my code do then?

Isn't the "physical" SMTP connection still open?

Garbage collection doesn't close it.

You can specify a socket timeout in the session properties, which will take care of the socket.

If you can provide a good reason
why you think we /should/ be able to recover from such errors, let me
know and I'll look into it.

This API is defined by Sun AFAICT.

However, the API doc is not terribly  helpful in specifying whether or
not close() should be called in all cases.

I know. I'll look at trying to tidy this up in the provider.
--
Chris Burdess