Re: JINI clone

From: Bill Petheram
Subject: Re: JINI clone
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:05:14 +0100

I'll answer the e-mails in one!

Anthony Green wrote:

> Hi Bill -
>
>         I think JINI is outside the mandate of the Classpath project, but I
> think
> we could use it in the gcj distribution (http://sources.redhat.com/java).
>  Would you be willing to assign the copyright over to the Free Software
> Foundation?
>
> Thanks!
>
> AG

I guessed that it was but this was the only place I knew to contact. I
am happy to assign the copyright.

Paul Fisher wrote:

> Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Short answer, yes we'd be interested.  Long answer is legal issues may
> > keep it from being useful.
>
> Last I checked (and this was a while ago), Sun had patents which would
> prevent the implementation/distribution/use of a free implementation
> of JINI.

The SCSL has changed recently. It now seems to mean that I can use JINI
without legal issues here at HP. I did the clone outside of HP because I
wanted to explore JINI ideas.

I don't know what patents Sun has over JINI. The license says that any
clone may infringe IP. There are a couple of things in JINI that are not
possible with the current JDK. I have not implemented these. I decided
anyway that I wanted my clone not to replace JINI but to be able to
write JINI services for my own systems. A bit like Ninja RMI.

I also tried to contact FSF about the legal issues but haven't heard
anything.

I originally contacted exolab who were doing the Wizard project. No work
had been done on this and then it was canned anyway.

thanks

bill