Re: SWING at OJE

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: SWING at OJE
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 17:54:22 +0000

>>> Jeff Sturm <address@hidden> 05-Feb-01 5:32:44 PM >>>

>>Nic Ferrier wrote:
>> JNI is not called as often on the server side...

Jeff replied:
>Don't be so sure.  Certain JDBC drivers with native
>JNI libs perform quite poorly.

At the risk of continuing this thread way beyond the lifetime of the
proverbial dead horse: don't use anything but a type 4 JDBC driver.

Of course CNI will alsways make things faster on the server side just
in terms of the IO to the socket... But server side performance with
JNI isn't *that* bad. It's the client that really sucks.

Unfortunately it's client side Java that is the part we have to
conquer, server side Java is now very well established.

Speaking of server side Java and GCJ I'm keen to make some time to
test GNU-Paperclips (a servlet engine) with GCJ to see what
performance increase we get.

This is an interesting project because servlet engines load and
unload classes all the time... it will be fun to see how the GCJ
runtime copes with a mix of compiled servlet engine and byte code
interpreted classes.

Unfortunately I've got so many other things to do I've no time for
fun  /8-(

Nic