Re: OJE project

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: OJE project
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:15:52 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:16:30AM -0700, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The APL is compatible with our license (as used by Classpath, the GPL plus
> > a special linking exception). But it isn't compatible with pure GPL.
>
> Could you explain how?  The advertising clause still remains.  Is this your
> opinion or Stallmans?
My opinion and how Richard Stallman thinks about how APL+ GPL are not
compatible can be found in the archives of the debian-legal mailinglist:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal-0006/threads.html>

The reason that the Classpath code is compatible with almost everything
(even proprietary stuff) is because the special exception clause:

  As a special exception, if you link this library with other files to
  produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause the
  resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
  This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the
  executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.

> > It is said that RMS and Brian Behlendorf are working on these issues.
>
> No...  it isn't.  I talked to RMS about this < 1 month ago and the
> situation is  resolved.  As long as the licensing clause is in the APL
> they are not compatible
> ... :(.
To bad. I heard that Brian Behlendorf and Richard Stallman were trying
to come to an agreement on how to change the APL so it would become GPL
compatible. Brian Behlendorf has said that he really would have no problem
with people using Apache code in GPLed projects. So I hoped they had
talked about how to make this possible by changing the license.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore