[Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:27:23 +0100

>>> "Aaron M. Renn" <address@hidden> 11-Apr-01 9:25:00 PM >>>

>> My question is: would anyone getting this have
>> an objection to me setting up a savannah project
>> to manage the GNU java web pages?

>Nic, you are way behind the times.  A savannah repository
>is already set up to manage all of the GNU web pages

I'm aware of the www project on savannah.

I am proposing something different to that. A sort of "meta-java"
project that would be the prime means of administering the GNU java
presence.

Isn't it silly to have everyone who might need to alter the java
pages also able to alter other pages?

>If you're willing to help out, I could really use some
>help answering mail sent to the address@hidden mailing
>list.  It is mostly people wanting to contribute packages.
>I'm so busy there's usually a delay in response and action,
>which surely frustrates the senders.

I'd be happy to help. Do you want me to add my name to the alias?

I'd like you to consider what I'm talking about though. The current
system is accepting java programs and listing them on our website as a
service to the java community... it's not making them part of the GNU
project.

My own view is that the GNU project should try to offer something
more to the java community. A number of projects and completed
programs and libraries which provide GNU java in a coherant and
sensible form.

Perhaps the current gnu-java mailing list could even be pointed at a
new "java-pages" mailing list and those people could act as evaluators
for the GNU project eval team and for rms; offering views on whether
something submitted might be a valuable addition to the GNU project.

Packages that were not accepted for GNU could still be listed (note:
this should get even easier when the "free-software" savannah comes on
line).

Nic