Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: Java tools

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: Java tools
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:14:06 +0100

>>> David Brownell <address@hidden> 10-Jul-01 9:29:37 PM >>>

   And perhaps creating desires to move subprojects
   around. Like the ClasspathX "jaxp" support, as
   JDK 1.4 incorporates such facilities directly into the
   standard libraries...

A short note on this...

The GNU project's internal organization should not be a victim of Sun
Marketing.

Even though it is included in 1.4, the jaxp stuff is still a java
extension, a javax package and should remain within Classpathx.

All GNU projects can then use the code equally. For example, GCJ and
Kaffe may choose to distribute the jaxp stuff to make something that
looks like 1.4.

In some areas Sun's decisions do affect us, for example the inclusion
of regexps in core 1.4 call into question the utility of having a
seperate regexp project. But we should not be pushed into duplicating
effort or diluting the clarity of our structure (which is actually
quite sensible) because Sun choose to do some bundling.

Nic