Classpath building (was re: Classpath future?)

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Classpath building (was re: Classpath future?)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:43:06 +0100

>>> "Etienne M. Gagnon" <address@hidden> 12-Jul-01 6:28:58 PM

   Personally, I would be ready to help restructuring a
   few things.  I am already doing to simplify SableVM's
   users life.

As far as I can see Classpath's build system is unnecessarily complex
and I think this is the first thing that needs to be done.

It could just do this:

- compile all the .java to .class
- compile VM specifc .java to .class
- make include/Makefile which handles generating headers
- make native/Makefile which handles the native code

[Note that generating headers has to be up to VM to some extent, eg:
kaffe might want to use kaffeh, gcj will want to use gcjh)

Classpath would continue to supply the japhar inetgration stuff as an
example, it would also have an example Makefile for them.

This would fix some of the problem, it would enable smarter
separations which in turn would allow better GCJ/all-other=VMs
integration.

I had started on this but shelved it for a while to do some stuff
with GNU-Paperclips. When I've done that I'll go back to this
Classpath issue. Of course, you might fix it yourself in that time
/8->

Nic