Re: Classpath future?

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Classpath future?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:11:18 -0400

Jeff Sturm wrote:

For one thing, the gcj runtime doesn't distinguish native (CNI) and java
code.  At the object level, they are the same.

OK. Your point of view is really GCJ specific. My original point was effectively that CNI is not a "universal" native interface that could reasonably be expected from every "Classpath" compatible VM.

The simplest thing to do (I'm guessing somewhat, nobody has written a
copying collector for gcj that I'm aware of) is conservatively scan stacks
and registers, pinning any objects that could possibly be referenced on
the stack or by a register so they cannot be moved.

So, you're back suggesting to scan "conservatively" and pinning. So, you agree that CNI is incompatible with precise collectors (at least, moving ones).

It's a matter of portability.  Libgcj relies on help from the OS for
threads, incremental GC, etc. so of course these features are not
universally available.

Exactly my point.  CNI is GCJ specific.

I have nothing against CNI, or GCJ. I am just trying to discuss the "real" goals of Classpath, and maybe put some pressure to resolve this important yet unresolved CNI/JNI issue.

It is my impression that by now, most people on this list, agree that this issue should be resolved simply keeping 2 separate native branches, one for JNI, and one for CNI. Remains to decide if we want to put some rules on the synchronization of both trees. Right?

Etienne

| Étienne M. Gagnon                    mailto:address@hidden |
| Professeur adjoint            Téléphone: (514) 987-3000 poste 8215 |
| Bureau: PK-4930                        Télécopieur: (514) 987-8477 |
| Département d'informatique, UQÀM          http://www.info.uqam.ca/ |
| Auteur de SableVM                          http://www.sablevm.org/ |
| et de SableCC                              http://www.sablecc.org/ |
| Etienne M. Gagnon                    mailto:address@hidden |
| Assistant Professor                Phone: (514) 987-3000 ext. 8215 |
| Office: PK-4930                                Fax: (514) 987-8477 |
| Department of Computer Science, UQAM      http://www.info.uqam.ca/ |
| Author of SableVM                          http://www.sablevm.org/ |
| and SableCC                                http://www.sablecc.org/ |