APR/NSPR

From: Brian Jones
Subject: APR/NSPR
Date: 26 Jul 2001 22:55:17 -0400

I've been thinking about portability and wondering to myself whether
or not we can use one of now two different packages that insulate
software from the quirks of various platforms by providing a fairly
consistent sort of libc-like API for file io, network, threads, etc.

The first and oldest of these is NSPR, which seems to be used
extensively by Netscape/Sun for Mozilla, IPlanet, etc.  The second,
APR, is fairly new and part of Apache 2.0.  NSPR is covered by the MPL
and GPL while APR is covered by the usual Apache license.

It seems using these libraries would be worth something for increasing
portability.  Is it possible, given our license, to use either?  Would
using one of these be difficult for the user base to deal with due to
the additional license?

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>