Re: Duplicate JNI files.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Duplicate JNI files.
Date: 07 Sep 2001 20:11:50 -0600

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

Etienne> Also, you'll notice that the current Classpath "native/jni"
Etienne> code does not build the "libbigint.so" library, even though
Etienne> it is required by the Java source code...  [Thanks to
Etienne> brain-dead scripts, finding such things can be easy;-)]

Brian> I do not believe we've ever had one, and BigInteger doesn't
Brian> work obviously.  :)

libgcj has an all-Java BigInteger.  It could be imported into
Classpath with little trouble.

Etienne> [SableVM's definition file has been written with that in
Etienne> mind, and is released into the "Public Domain".  Do you want
Etienne> it?].

Do you mean <jni.h>?  There is also one in libgcj, though it currently
has some unportable bits and libgcj dependencies.

Etienne> As not every VM already has a "javah" like tool, you remove,
Etienne> by doing so, an artificial build dependency on specific VMs,
Etienne> or even proprietary tools ["javah"].

gcj includes a free javah program, called gcjh.

Brian> I'm almost done eith a full javap replacement that uses GNU
Brian> bytecode.  Writing javah is trivial as well with this package
Brian> and I'll do it soon.  Getting the decompilation to java
Brian> assembly to display as I want (just as Sun's javap does) has
Brian> proven tricky.

FYI gcj includes jcf-dump, which is similar to javap.  It isn't
exactly the same, but it does have bytecode disassembly.

Tom