Re: [Fwd: Sablepath packages available to download]

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Sablepath packages available to download]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:07:49 +1200

I would like to do so, but the Classpath project has yet to accept my offer to contribute my modifications under my own Copyright (but identical license).

I agree that its annoying, and actually I would personally much prefer if we didn't have to go through the hassle of getting copyright assignment from contributors. However, there are some fairly convincing arguments as to why the FSF wants to hold the copyrights on its major projects, in order to be able to defend the license in court if it ever came down to that. All of the current and past authors of classpath - some of which have no doubt committed far more time and energy than you or I - have donated their work to the FSF. Presumably you have derived value from their work, so isn't it a bit selfish for you to not do so for your patches?

5- distribute/Sell the executable without distributing the sources of Classpath nor the modifications. In fact, there's even no obligation to disclose that Classpath was ever used. In other words, the current Classpath license is weaker than the BSD license (without adv. clause)!

Could you please explain this further. This is certainly not the intent or spirit of the classpath license as I understand it, and if true would indicate some kind of loophole.

regards

Bryce.