Re: Question on nested types

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: Question on nested types
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:10:45 +1200

Eric Blake wrote:

So, which do we follow, Sun's behavior or specification?  Behavior-wise,
Classpath is correct because it behaves identically to the JDK;
specification-wise, both libraries are in error by not accepting the
above program as legal, and the fix for Classpath would be simply
renaming Hashtable.Entry to something like Hashtable.HashEntry.

In the past we have made these decisions based on observed behaviour of the JDK, even when that behaviour directly contridicts one spec or another (the JCL and the online docs contradict each other sometimes too).

In this case I do prefer the existing code simply because using "Entry" makes the code look cleaner and more consise. But, if you think that this is a real "bug" and there is a danger of Sun changing their implementation to correct it (highly unlikely would be my guess) ...

regards

Bryce.