Re: build ideas

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: build ideas
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:52:01 -0600

I'm all for a way to compile the .class files without the shared
libraries.  I develop on a cygwin platform, which does not have the best
support for free VMs or for shared libraries, so I tend to just compile
the java files.

By the way, I think developers should have the autotools installed on
their machine, so I see no reason for CVS to keep track of generated
files like configure and Makefile.in, only the originals like
Makefile.am.  The generated files should be part of the distribution,
though, since end users should not be required to have all the developer
tools just to use the final product.  Fortunately, automake does this
correctly.

Who knows, improving the build framework might inspire someone to
improve the dependency tracking that jikes does, to make that part of
compilation even more efficient and compatible with automake.

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             address@hidden
  BYU student, free software programmer