Re: First part of LICENSE file

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: First part of LICENSE file
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:12:46 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 07:39:12PM -0500, Brian Jones wrote:

> Based on the discussion I think it would be best to hold off and not
> release or modify the license until a decision is reached via the
> FSF.  Clear no one, including myself, is in favor of the change just
> to suit RMS.  I guess we'll agree to disagree with RMS and choose not
> to act at this time.

So we seem to have a consensus then. Good. One reason for me to just go
forward with this and try to get a release out of the door was because
you and Paul as project admins were giving mixed signals about how to
proceed. I am a bit sad that we will not have a new release soon now.
But I do think this is the best solution at the moment.

We should officialy inform RMS of our decission to not make any formal
new releases of GNU Classpath since we do not think we have the moral
right to change the license of the AWT code even if it has been contributed
to the FSF. That we are awaiting the resolution of the libgcj AWT licensing
issue to see how to go forward with the GNU Classpath AWT code. But that we
are still hacking on the non-AWT parts, merging these with the libgcj classes
and trying to integrate them with more Free VMs.
Just to make sure that there is no more miscommunication on this issue.

> This is okay, I will concentrate on getting VMs working that use
> Classpath and testing the library.  Anyone with the time is encouraged
> to do the same.
Yeah! I am with you :)

P.S. When we finally do get a GNU Classpath release 0.0.3 I want to make
     T-Shirts saying "GNU Classpath, GPL, LGPL, Special Exception and
     licensing wars. Been there, done that. Lost to many days of my life."
     Anybody interested in such a T-Shirt? Suggestions for a better or more
     positive, funny, cryptic text? Should the T-Shirt contain our mascot
     "Drop"? Does anybody have a high resolution version of him/her?
--
Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>