Re: Simple Proposal

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Simple Proposal
Date: 08 Nov 2001 22:52:31 -0500

"Etienne M. Gagnon" <address@hidden> writes:

> 2- license Classpath under the LGPL+exception (instead of GPL+exception).
>
> Why change from GPL to LGPL?  Because class path is a library. It would be
> nice
> for some other Free software developers to be able to take parts of files in
> Classpath and includes those parts in their own Free libraries distributed
> under
> the "pure" LGPL.  This is not possible under the current Classpath license
> [One
> can only "link" with the class files generated by compyling Classpath; one
> cannot directly use parts of the source code in non-GPL libraries].

It's not possible to copy and paste code licensed under the GPL or
GPL+exception into source code licensed under the LGPL.  However, it
is possible to use/call the GPL+exception code from your LGPL code (if
it was not, then you could not write proprietary apps and use
Classpath).  RMS doesn't like the LGPL and while changing the license
might help you copy and paste our source into LGPL code... this is not the
common use case and a work around exists.  Your reasoning makes little
sense to me.

--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>