Re: The need for clarifying the GPL exception (unfortunately)

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: The need for clarifying the GPL exception (unfortunately)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:43:53 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:13:51PM -0500, Brian Jones wrote:
> Why you would want to rewrite this part of their suggested wording to
> the wording you've floated here and sent to RMS I don't really
> understand.  Your version just seems more wordy.

No particular reason; it's not really "my" version; it has been written by RMS
in his suggested license for SabeVM.  By the way, the Guile license is even more
wordy.

If RMS agrees to the clarification, I can suggest the following replacement, if
you
you prefer to reduce the number of words.  The complete exception text would be
just
3 more lines/39 additional words over the current exception text.  Here is
the complete proposed text:

--- BEGIN ---
As a special exception, if you link this library with other files to
produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause the
resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the
executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.
If you modify this library, you may extend this exception to your version
of the library but you are not obligated to do so.  If you do not wish to
do so, delete this exception statement from your version.

Is this better?

Etienne

PS: I will wait, first, for RMS's reply to my initial message before suggesting
any change.

--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/