Re: 202_jess bug?

From: shudo
Subject: Re: 202_jess bug?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:11:24 +0900

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Patrick> What is Class.getConstructor supposed to do when the matching
> Patrick> constructor is not public?
>
> I think it should fail with NoSuchMethodException.

I believe this is not a bug of the SPEC JVM98.

The _202_jess calls Class#newInstance() for the `_return' class,
which is an inner class of the caller.
The call to newInstance() should succeed according to the specification
of newInstance():

  Creates a new instance of the class represented by this
  Class object. The class is instantiatied as if by a new
  expression with an empty argument list. The class is
  initialized if it has not already been initialized.

But, as you wrote, getConstructor(<class object for
`_return'>) should throw NoSuchMethodException. Thus
newInstance() working correctly for inner classes cannot
be implemented making use of getConstructor(), as long
as access modifier of inner class is not public.

  Kazuyuki Shudo        address@hidden  http://www.shudo.net/