Re: gcj vs classpath merge status

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: gcj vs classpath merge status
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:38:50 -0500

Brian Jones wrote:

You should keep the reformatting separate from a code change if at all
possible just so it is more clear in looking at CVS with diff/logs.

Is there a mode in standard GNU indent which meets the right
formatting criteria for Java code and GNU standards?

GNU indent doesn't handle Java well, unfortunately (at least, the last time I checked). But I have discovered "astyle" http://www.bigfoot.com/~davidsont/astyle which works relatively well. It has supports the GNU style.

Personally, I use the following options, which give preety good results (relatively conform to the GNU style):

astyle -jbs2

It has a small glitch; it sometimes adds spurious blank lines, so applying astyle to a file repeatedly adds a block of empty lines. These lines are easily removed by a small program which removes blocks of empty lines [I have written one].

Astyle does't go as far as GNU indent for controling the indentation of code "within" a line of code (e.g. space before parentheses, etc.). But it is much better than nothing!

Etienne
--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/